Warning: fopen(/data01/geepee/public_html/genlog.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /data02/geepee/public_html/log.php on line 47

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /data02/geepee/public_html/log.php:47) in /data02/geepee/public_html/genlib.php on line 56
Map of East Suffolk
Arms of East Suffolk (Coastal)

Home | What's New | Family Tree | Photos | Histories | Surnames | Places | Cemeteries | Headstones
Arms of Yorkshire

Map of East Suffolk

This map, an extract from a hand-coloured, steel engraving of Suffolk by J.Archer (ca.1842), shows the area of interest about the time that John Precious moved from Tunstall to Parham.

Some of the important villages, namely Tunstall, Eyke, Parham, Marlesford, Bredfield, Thorington, Wingfield and Fressingfield are indicated in red.

Many of the villages lie within the triangle between the towns of Framlingham, Saxmundham and Woodbridge. The main road from Ipswich to Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth (the A12) can be seen running diagonally SW-NE across the map.

This map was drawn before the arrival of the railways to this area, which took place around 1859. The main line followed the A12 from Ipswich through Woodbridge and Saxmundham to Halesworth, with a spur line through Parham to Framlingham.

The numbers in bold type refer to the old Hundreds (outlined in beige shading on the map), as follows:

13

Loes

18

Plomsgate

14

Carlford

19

Hoxne

15

Threding

20

Blything

17

Wilford


Copyright © R G Precious 2003-2018 All Rights Reserved.

Genealogical Database maintained on Reunion © on a Macintosh.

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.